Monday, October 29, 2007

love that dirty water

Some time this summer, as it became apparent that the Red Sox had an amazing team, I said to Ginger, “Wouldn’t it be great if the Sox won the World Series as we were leaving New England.” Last night, as you may have heard, they obliged. For the second time in four years, our boys are the champions.

Jonathan Papelbon, our amazing closer, has become somewhat famous for his dancing after clinching the American League East and then winning the ALCS. Last night, he seemed humbled in his post game interview. He didn’t show the bravado and the Bull-Durham-we’ve-just-
got-to-take-it-one-day-at-a-time mentality that makes for most of what passes as interviews on ESPN. The weight of winning seemed to settle him down. He didn’t gloat or brag; he just said thank you.

Most of the teams I’ve cheered for in my life have been of the close-but-no-cigar variety. I am a graduate of Baylor University, better known of late as the whipping boy of the Big Twelve. My freshman year at Baylor, our football team won the Southwest Conference for the first time in fifty years. Ginger and I were here in New England in 2004 when the Sox reversed the Curse that had kept them from winning a championship for eighty-six years. Tonight, I turned on the TV to watch the news and a commercial said,

The last time the Red Sox won the World Series,
gas cost over two dollars a gallon,
George W. Bush was president,
and the Patriots were the best team in football.

We’ve waited a long time for this.
Thanks to the Red Sox for winning the Series again.
This is the first time in my life I’ve rooted for the best team in baseball. We weren’t the come from behind kids this year. We led our division all year, tied for the best record in baseball, and won the championship decidedly. Yes, we have the second biggest payroll and we got to see the kids we’ve raised in our farm system – Papelbon, Youkilis, Ellsbury, Pedroia, Lester – come into their own. One local commentator said, “We watched our veterans play with a kid’s enthusiasm and our kids play like veterans. In 2004, the victory was a relief; this year we get to relish it. What an amazing gift. We won the Series in 1903, 1912, 1915, 1918, 2004, and 2007. I don’t expect to win every year, or even every four years. Hey – we won this year.

Tomorrow Ginger and I are going into Boston with a couple of million of our closest friends for the “Rolling Rally” of celebration, in what will likely be our last trip into the city before we head to Carolina. I’m sure the loudspeakers will be blaring the song that plays at the end of every Sox victory at home and, for the last time, we will get to sing
I love that Dirty Water
Oh – Boston – you’re my home.
Peace,
Milton

4 comments:

Beth said...

What a great send-off. Brings tears to my eyes, Milton. God bless you and your city and your team!

Anonymous said...

A great send-off indeed! It's been 40 years since the magic started. But Red Sox Nation is truly that. You will be embraced in your new home.

Real Live Preacher said...

I rather adopted the Sox when you guys were trying to get past the curse. That was one of the most exciting moments in my own history with professional sports. And I do love to root for my teams. The Spurs and the Cowboys for me. I was less passionate about you guys this year, having been rooting for the Cubs to get over their 90+ year drought. But still I was rooting for you. I mean, who are the Diamondbacks anyway? How long have they been here? A couple of months? I never even heard of them. ;-)

they gotta pay their dues.

Anonymous said...

Just a note “for the record”
As a “jinx” it is important to let everybody know that I did my part to ensure a Red Sox victory. My lovely wife was watching and cheering during game 4 untill I joined her in the 8th inning as we both watched Okajima give up a 2 run shot. That made it a one run game. Knowing that Papelbon was being called in to get rid of not 3 but 5 batters after pitching the previous games, I promptly turned off the television ran to bed and hid under the covers till morning when we turned on the radio to listen to the outcome……it was good.

I have not begun negotiations with Theo for next year yet but I’m sure he will be calling me soon…………….to make sure I don’t watch any games.

Pork Butt (aka “the Jinx”)