Friday, March 28, 2008

to mac

"A good storyteller speaks a melody; in conversation there is melody."
Mac McAnally, in conversation at Blue Rock)

You’ve talked to me for years
and I’ve listened. Does that
count as conversation? I can
still see myself walking out
of Baylor Records with a copy
of Nothin’ But The Truth tucked
under my arm; I spent the better
part of the next week listening
to you sing and wishing I knew
your language. All these years
I’ve kept quiet, except to pick up
my guitar and sing your words
from time to time. Does that
count as conversation? And now
I see you sitting and talking
with my old friend – we’ve
listened to you together for a
long time – and he got to talk
back, and to keep listening.
I watched from far away and
imagined myself pulling up
a chair. It’s my job that kept
me from getting there; I
think you might understand.
I’ll have to settle for that,
and that I can keep listening –
oh, and say, “Thank you.”
I think that counts.



Peace,
Milton

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Saw him last summer at a bookstore here in Jackson. BTW, did I ever tell you I saw him when I was in college..kinda like driving the Trace...live and learn

love ya like a rock, JB