Tuesday, December 22, 2009

advent journal: the grammar of grace

And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered. (Luke 2:6 KJV)

I first learned the story the same way
Linus told it: in language so old
that some of the words had been lost
or forgotten, others changed.

No one says, “the days were accomplished”
anymore, unless you’re Linus or
the liturgist on Christmas Eve
saying, “she should be delivered”

In the beginning, God spoke and the
universe exploded into existence;
but the Baby is born in passive
voice: how silently the gift is given.

Peace,
Milton

1 comment:

Rich said...

It's been a while since I've commented, Milton. But especially at this time of year, I find I must tell you how often I find the need to be inspired, to feel informed, to feel comforted, and you NEVER let me down! Blessings to lovely you and your lovelier wife, Rich