Wednesday, April 20, 2011

lenten journal: wildflowers

the wildflower patch is coming
back for an encore performance
after last year’s inaugural run

right now everything is a verdant
vibrant and bloomless array of
weeds and flowers, best I can tell

so I hesitate to pull anything
up by the roots because I just
might be pulling up wildflowers

from the highways of my youth
I remember fields of bluebonnets
surely weeds were among them

is it reason enough to pull up
what I don’t recognize because
it’s not something I planted

Peace,
Milton

1 comment:

nancy.johnson said...

Thank you for this poem. I have often wondered by what measure we decide that some plants are worthwhile and others, "weeds" are not. I appreciate your writing.

I found your blog on RevGalBlogPals and have read a few of your entries. Your writing is very moving. Thanks so much for this blog. Blessings!