Tuesday, April 24, 2007

naming the animals

In the weight of these times, I found myself looking for a little relief tonight. And, since we are in the waning days of National Poetry Month, I offer yet another poem.

Naming the Animals
“Our job is to name the animals,” she said.
“All of them?” he asked.
“Why? Where do you have to be?”
She smiled.

“Aardvark -- your turn,” she said.
“Dog.”
“Platypus.”
“Pig.”

“That’s a bit plain”, she said.
“Well -- what would you call it?”

(pause)

“Pig is OK, I guess.”
“Keep going,” he said.

“Salamander.”
“Sheep.”
“Okapi.”
“Cow.”
“Gazelle.”
“Fish.”

“I have to stop you,” she said.
“Why?”
“Fish won’t do.”
“But wasn’t it my turn?” he asked.

(long pause)

“Poisson,” she said.
“Pwa -- who?”
“I switched to French."
“It’s still a fish,” he said.
Peace,
Milton

8 comments:

Beth said...

Ha. Love it!

Sr. Heather said...

What a fun poem!

Thank you,
Hedwyg

L.L. Barkat said...

oh, the negotiation even in naming... love it!

Anonymous said...

reminds me of Mark Twain's "The Diary of Adam and Eve."

That's affirmation!! :-)

sharecropper said...

Oh, I love it! Pig is OK, I guess. Laughing and thinking. I know why you got a thinking blogger award. You're on my reading list now.

Maria said...

Love it. Poisson is part of my vocab these days -- it's Daddy's favorite song from the Little Mermaid soundtrack that plays incessantly in the car (and my mind). It's a cooking song, too, if you recall.

don't eat alone said...

Maria

I love that song -- and the movie.

Peace and poisson --
Milton

Anonymous said...

Nice.