Sunday, April 05, 2009

lenten journal: two tables over

I have great news: my friend, Nathan Brown, won the 2009 Oklahoma Book Award for Poetry with his latest book, Two Tables Over. I know. The sentence begs a couple of questions:

  • They have poets in Oklahoma?
  • They give them awards?
The answer to both questions is yes. Poetry does come out of Oklahoma, and it’s good. Nathan is a determined and gifted person who works hard at his craft and has a great deal to say. I quoted one of his poems a couple of days ago. Here’s another of my favorites from his new book.
Taking it Back

They stand there flash shocked
in a black and white photograph
right beneath the caption:
55 Years Perfect Attendance.

Turns out to be for Sunday School.

His hand barely touches the back
of her arm. They’re both
uncomfortable with the contact.

Tiny, frightened eyes panic
behind big bifocal lenses.
They’re thinkin’ about the drive home
in front of a dirt road dust cloud
that will eventually settle somewhere
far to the east on the grassy plain.

And, you know?

I was going to wind this down
to a great, sarcastic finish . . .
something to do with religion.

But, honestly, I’m touched by such
commitment. People like this actually
still exist. And there’s something
I know I should be grateful for
in the way they balance out
a world gone mostly mad.
Treat yourself to a volume of Nathan’s poetry (he has five). You will find something to feed your heart and you will help him pay some bills. Turns out, though the Oklahoma Book Award is a great honor, it doesn’t come with much of a cash prize.

Peace,
Milton

3 comments:

barbara said...

I know you're joking, but the question "Do they have poets in Oklahoma?" didn't sound like something I'd expect to hear you say.

don't eat alone said...

Barbara,

It is a long-standing joke between my friend Nathan and me; it reminds me of the verse that says, "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" (Insert big smile here.)

Peace,
Milton

barbara said...

Milton,

thanks for explaining to this Oklahoma native (insert big smile back) I hope this isn't sign I'm losing my Okie-bred sense of humor ...