Thursday, April 30, 2009

vocabulary

On this, the last day of National Poetry Month, the least I can do is offer a verse of my own.

vocabulary

treppenwitz is a word that means
“a clever remark that comes to mind
when it is too late to utter it”
(of course, you have to be speaking
German for it to make sense)

In New Guinea when they want
to speak of “the truth everybody
knows but nobody speaks”
they say mokita

tonight in America I wished
for a word in any language
that captures what it means
for old friends to share a meal
and feed each other with love
and laughter, relishing the
fragrance and fortitude of
what it means to be together

the best I can do (in two words)
is, “thank you”
Peace,
Milton

3 comments:

Mavis said...

This is so cool Milton. I experience treppenwitz ever so often

africakidandtheworld said...

Ha ha, I love that German word. It's a new one for me! Will have to use it if I ever return.

Anonymous said...

i just found your blog...and i love your poetry. really. (gotta love the links on links on links)