Friday, May 08, 2009

what's the word

I’m looking for?
(Not that anyone has asked
for a word, you understand)

Still – the swirl around
the swine flu has left me
looking for a word or two
with which to respond . . .

I could say something
about malaria, or cholera,
or tuberculosis, or hunger –
all bigger killers we could do
something about, but

that too quickly begins to
sound (and feel) superior.

I could repeat what I read
on the church sign driving
to work: “God is in control.”

And then I drove past a car
that had fallen into the ditch.

Most every time an angel
appears in a Bible story,
he says the same thing:
“Be not afraid,” as if that
would be enough.

Tone, you know, travels
across time and scripture
about as well as it does
in email; still -- I can’t help
but hear something other
than a command.

And I wonder . . .

how I might give my
word wings of compassion
and the lightness of love
whatever it might be.


Peace,
Milton

1 comment:

Jeff (no, the other one) said...

I just remember what Helen Keller said, we can do no great things, only small things with great love.