Saturday, February 25, 2012

lenten journal: connection

Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. 
 “Couldn’t you men keep watch with me for one hour?” he asked Peter.
(Matt. 26:40)

connection

driving home from work
tonight I saw the moon –
or at least all it was
willing to show tonight
arriving late as well
almost ten o’clock and
hardly above the horizon
from my vantage point
I couldn’t tell if
it was old or new
beginning or fading
I was as tired going
to work as I was
coming home at
almost ten o’clock and
hardly above the horizon
with promises . . .
(you know the line)
on nights like these
I think about drowsy
disciples in the garden
who couldn’t stay awake
like Santiago thought about
DiMaggio’s bone spur
and I catch myself smiling
I have to be exhausted
to feel like a disciple

Peace,
Milton